Dr. Kirit Bhatt
University of Chicago
Boston University School of Medicine
Plastic Surgery Residency
Medical College of Georgia
Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Clinical Fellowships
Stanford University, Division of Plastic Surgery
The Buncke Clinic, Microvascular/Tissue Transplantation Plastic Surgery
Postdoctoral Research Fellowships
Stanford University, Gurtner Laboratory of Applied Regenerative Medicine
New York University, Laboratory of Vascular and Tissue Engineering
HONORS AND AWARDS
Recognized as a 2018 “Top Doctor,” Washingtonian Magazine
Recognized as a 2017 “Top Plastic Surgeon,” Northern Virginia Magazine
Administrative Chief Resident, Medical College of Georgia
Emerging Entrepreneur in Biomedical Technology, Stanford, CA
Clifford C. Snyder Award, 53rd Annual Plastic Surgery Research Council Conference, Co-author, for research entitled: Ex Vivo Gene Transduction of Microvascular Free Flaps with Antimicrobial Peptides to Treat Chronic Infections
New York University Resident’s Night Research Competition, First Place
New York Academy of Medicine Regional Society of Plastic Surgeons Research Conference, First Place
Surgical Forum Excellence in Research Award, 91st Annual American College of Surgeons Conference, Co-author, for research entitled: Ex-vivo Gene Transduction of Microvascular Free Flaps to Deliver the Human Antimicrobial Peptide LL37
Peter J. Gingrass Award, 49th Annual Plastic Surgery Research Council Conference, Co-author, for research entitled: A Novel Mechanism for Ischemia induced New Blood Vessel Growth that Recapitulates Embryologic Vasculogenesis.
Association for Research in Otolaryngology (ARO) Travel Award, for research entitled: Morphometric Analysis of the Age-Related Changes of the Human Basilar Membrane.
International Health Education Consortium Travel Award, for research entitled: Medical Consequences of Child Labor Abuses in the South Asian Textile Industry.
Richter Foundation Grant, University of Chicago, for primary care work at Mother Teresa’s Home for the Destitute, Bombay, India.
Rockefeller Chapel Internship Award, University of Chicago, for primary care work at Mother Teresa’s Home for the Destitute, Bombay, India.
- Januszyk M, Wong VW, Bhatt KA, Vial IN, Paterno J, Longaker MT, Gurtner GC. Mechanical Offloading of Incisional Wounds is Associated with Transcriptional Downregulation of Inflammatory Pathways in a Large Animal Model. Organogenesis. 2014Apr-Jun;10(2):186-93.
- Gaster RS, Bhatt KA, Shelton AA, Lee GK. Free Transverse Rectus Abdominis Myocutaneous Flap Reconstruction of a Massive Lumbosacral Defect Using Superior Gluteal Artery Perforator Vessels. Microsurgery. 2012 Mar 31
- Yu J, Dinsmore R, Mar P, Bhatt KA. Pediatric Maxillary Fractures. J Craniofac Surg. 2011 Jul; 22(4):1247-50.
- Gurtner GC, Dauskardt RH, Wong VW, Bhatt KA, Wu K, Vial IN, Podois K, Korman JM, Longaker MT. Improving Cutaneous Scar Formation by Controlling the Mechanical Environment: Large Animal and Phase I Studies. Ann Surg. 2011 Aug;254(2):217-25.
- Paterno J, Vial IN, Wong VW, Rustad KC, Sorkin M, Shi Y, Bhatt KA, Thangarajah H. Glotzbach JP, Gurtner GC. Akt-mediated Mechanotransduction in Murine Fibroblasts during Hypertrophic Scar Formation. Wound Repair Regen. 2011 Jan-Feb;19(1):49-58.
- Foroohar M, Bhatt KA, Lee GK. Intracompartmental Pressure in Anterolateral Thigh Flap Donor Sites. Manuscript in progress.
- Ghali S, Bhatt KA, Dempsey MP, Jones DM, Singh S, Arabi S, Butler PE, Gallo R, Gurtner GC. Treating chronic wound infections with genetically modified free flaps. Plastic Reconstr Surg. 2009 Apr;123(4):1157-68.
- Bhatt KA, Aarabi S, Bastidas N, Grieves M, Ghali S, Tabbal G, Thibbonier A, Ceradini DJ, Holmes J, Yee H, Gurtner GC. Mechanical Load Initiates Hypertrophic Scar Formation Through Decreased Cellular Apoptosis. FASEB J, Oct 2007.
- Bhatt KA, Chang EI, Warren SM, Lin S, Bastidas N, Capla JM, McCarthy JG, Gurtner GC. Uniaxial Mechanical Strain: An In Vitro Correlate to Distraction Osteogenesis. Journal of Surgical Research, 2007.
- Michaels J, Dobryansky M, Galiano RD, Bhatt KA, Ashinoff R, Ceradini DJ, Gurtner GC. Topical VEGF Reverses Delayed Wound Healing Secondary to Angiogenesis Inhibitor Administration. Wound Repair and Regeneration. 2005 13(5):506-12.
- Cetrulo CL, Knox KR, Brown DJ, Ashinoff RL, Dobryansky M, Ceradini DJ, Capla JM, Chang EI, Bhatt KA, McCarthy JG, Gurtner GC. Stem Cells and Distraction Osteogenesis. Endothelial Cells Home to the Regenerate in the Activation and Consolidation Phases. PRS 2005 116(4):1053-64.
- Derderian CA, Bastidas N, Lerman OZ, Bhatt KA, Lin SE, Voss J, Holmes JW, Levine JP, Gurtner GC. Mechanical Strain Alters Gene Expression in an In Vitro Model of Hypertrophic Scarring. Annals of Plastic Surgery. 2005 55(1):69-75.
- Kleinman ME, Tepper OM, Capla JM, Bhatt KA, Ceradini DJ, Galiano RD, Blei F, Levine JP, Gurtner GC. Increased circulating AC133+ CD34+ endothelial progenitor cells in children with hemangioma. Lymphat Res Biol. 2003;1(4):301-7.
- Tepper OM, Callaghan MJ, Chang EI, Galiano RD, Bhatt KA, Baharestani S, Gan J, Simon B, Hopper RA, Levine JP, Gurtner GC. Electromagnetic fields increase in vitro and in vivo angiogenesis through endothelial release of FGF-2. FASEB J. 2004 Aug;18(11):1231-3. Epub 2004 Jun 18.
- Ashinoff RL, Cetrulo CL Jr, Galiano RD, Dobryansky M, Bhatt KA, Ceradini DJ, Michaels J 5th, McCarthy JG, Gurtner GC. Related Articles, Bone morphogenic protein-2 gene therapy for mandibular distraction osteogenesis. Ann Plast Surg. 2004 Jun;52(6):585-90; discussion 591.
- Galiano RD, Tepper OM, Pelo CR, Bhatt KA, Derderian CA, Callaghan M, Bunting S, Steinmetz HG, Levine JP, Gurtner GC. Topical VEGF Accelerates Diabetic Wound Healing Through Increased Angiogenesis and by Mobilizing and Recruiting Bone Marrow-Derived Cells. American Journal of Pathology 2004 165(6):1935-47.
- Dobryansky M, Galiano RD, Cetrulo CL, Bhatt KA, Michaels J, Ashinoff R, Levine JP, Gurtner GC. Endostatin inhibits ischemia-induced neovascularization and increases ischemic tissue loss Ann Plast Surg. 2004 May;52(5):512-8.
- Bhatt KA, Karamanoukian HL, Bergsland J, D’Ancona G, Stephan R. Intraoperative Graft Verification in Renal Transplants. Vasc Endovascular Surg 2002 Mar-Apr;36(2):93-6.
- Bhatt KA, Liberman MC, Nadol JB Jr. Morphometric Analysis of Age-Related Changes in the Human Basilar Membrane. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 2001 Dec;110(12):1147-53.
- Bhatt K, Gong H, Freddo TF. Freeze-fracture Studies of Interendothelial Junctions in the Angle of the Human Eye. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 1995 Jun;36(7):1379-89.